Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Days 245 to 246

An afternoon in town yesterday turned into an unplanned evening in town, and I missed a blog post. While I was in town yesterday I took some snaps with my iPhone, and this is my favourite. We have some really characterful heritage buildings in our town - something there's not much of in New Zealand.



When I was in town I also bought some joss sticks, so I had another go at shooting smoke today, and this is my latest effort, which is only a slight improvement on the shot I took the other day. I'm finding it really tricky to get the smoke in focus without having to go for such a slow shutter speed that the smoke's just a blur anyway. I think what I really need is more light, but more light makes it tricky to get a nice black background. I'll look online to see if I can find some tips, and have another go. I'm not giving up just yet!






2 comments:

  1. Love your iPhone shot. Have you tried not focusing too hard on the smoke, maybe take on an aperture of 5.6 and boost your iso up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous old building this is Helen! I love the detail of it.
    I think your smoke looks fantastic. It is definitely not an easy thing to do.

    ReplyDelete