Saturday, 16 April 2011

Day 131

I created this panorama using Photoshop's Photomerge feature, which I've not used before. The original panorama was made up of 7 shots, and ended up way too long and thin, so I had to crop it, which was a shame, as there was a lot of interest on either side of the image. Next time I might try doing two rows of images, to get more height and improve the proportions. After I'd created the panorama, I imported it into Aperture (the Mac alternative to Lightroom) to do the processing. Click on the photo to see a bigger version.



I've had Aperture for a couple of weeks now. It normally costs over $300, but Apple recently made it available for download on the Mac app store at a discounted price of just over $100, so Iain bought it for me to try out. I much prefer it to Adobe Bridge for managing my photos, and it's an easy to use but powerful photo editor, too. I'd recommend it for anyone who's into photography and uses a Mac.

5 comments:

  1. Great job - it makes a stunning image

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful image. I know what you mean about the panoramics being thin and long. I had success with doing my shots in portrait composition when taking them seems to make for a better picture when stitched. If you go to my blog and find the shot of the London Eye and the river Thames (the one that is in my header) that is 10 stitched but shot portrait (turning camera sideways, just so I don't confuse you). Here is the link to it if you are interested http://skcphotos.blogspot.com/2010/11/out-and-about-in-londonpart-2-wider.html You can see the difference between portraits stitched and landscaped stitched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This type of shot is my absolute favorite! There is nothing better than trees and fog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, thanks for the tips on shooting panoramas. I'll definitely give them a try. You know, I'd never have thought of turning the camera round to shoot in portrait format, but I suppose it's an obvious thing to do if you've got half a brain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a powerful photo. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete