Friday, 20 May 2011

Day 164

A flock of these birds came very close to the house today. I think they're some sort of finch. I'm sure you can imagine the two of us sitting by the ranch sliders, watching the birds through the glass: me snapping away with the camera and Pookie scrabbling to get out! Needless to say, I didn't let her out until the birds had flown away.

The light wasn't ideal -- far too bright, with the sun almost behind the birds, but you can't always wait for the light to be right when you're shooting animals. You have to take whatever you can get, whenever you can get it. I used a bleach bypass preset to tone down the over-saturated colours and over-dark shadows.

3 comments:

  1. The bleached effect works really well. There's just enough colour on the bird's head to warm it up. Great image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful photograph Helen, and I love the way it turned out after the processing. The wonderfully muted color on the bird is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete