Sunday, 20 November 2011

Day 310

I'm feeling really, really annoyed with myself today. Due to a moment of carelessness, I've missed out on a whole lot of fun, and spent a good part of the day trying to get things sorted.

I was supposed to drive into town to go to a friend's working bee, but when I got into the car, it wouldn't start. I found out that I'd not closed the boot properly, and the tiny warning light that lights up on the dash when you leave one of the doors open must have drained the battery overnight. It took me ages to find the battery charger, and when I did, I found that the lead wasn't long enough to plug into a socket, and of course, it goes without saying, that I recently got rid of all my extension leads. Aargh!

I rang round the neighbours to see if anyone could lend me an extension lead. I was in luck, but the neighbour in question is a half hour walk away, so it was another hour before I could start charging the car. It sounds pathetic, I know, but I've never had to charge a car battery before, so I quizzed my neighbour about what to do. I had no idea how long it took, or whether I needed to set the charger to 6 Volts or 12 Volts. My neighbour told me I need to charge the battery for 3 to 4 hours, by which time the working bee will be over.

My neighbour didn't like the fact that the car made absolutely no sound at all when I turned the key. He said it should have made a clicking noise at the very least; so it could be that the battery is completely dead and needs replacing. I hope not!

I hate missing out on social events. And I hate letting people down. And I hate being a pathetic woman who doesn't know how to do a simple, everyday task because her husband always used to do it.


Today's shot shows one of the neighbours ploughing a field. The light in the original photo is really bad, and the image wasn't working at all, however I processed it. I found that converting it into a cut-out collage in Photoshop worked, and somehow made the bad light irrelevant.

2 comments:

  1. That stinks. The good news is, you may not really need a new battery - at least not right away. My old car wouldn't let you know when the lights were on after you shut it off. I used to leave the house when it was dark and get to work after sunrise, often forgetting to check the lights. I was always able to get a charge in the battery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The car started! I feel like I split the atom! :-D

    ReplyDelete